Confirmed: NDC sets Sept 17th to launch Manifesto
A National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) has confirmed September 17, 2016 as the final date of the planned launch of the ruling party’s manifesto for this year’s election, this paper can confirm.
The NEC’s decision was arrived at after a Tuesday meeting at the party’s headquarters in Accra.
This finally puts to rest the brouhaha over the manifesto launch of the NDC which has been shifted a couple of times due to the uncompromising campaign schedule of President John Dramani Mahama who would be the main focus during the manifesto launch.
Thecitizensghana.com can confirm that the NDC Manifesto had long been concluded but its launch had been dogged by a lack of coherence in the schedules of the key players expected at the official launching ceremony.
The Manifesto launch was originally scheduled for July 2016 following an announcement by the party’s General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia. However, it had been rescheduled a couple of times afterwards. This time, our reliable sources say it is the final date; no rescheduling.
The confirmation of this launch date has left the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) in a fix to explain why it was not launching its own manifesto since its original excuse for refusing to launch its manifesto is because it claims the NDC was waiting to copy from its manifesto.
Already, both President John Dramani Mahama and NDC Director of Elections, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, revealed that the NDC manifesto will basically focus on job creation and massive investment in the agricultural sector, a focus totally different from the NPP’s focus on growing the economy through the “bottom up approach”.
Mr. Ampofo has debunked assertions that the NDC wanted to plagiarize the opposition party’s manifesto, saying the NDC has no interest in doing so.
“We are the ruling party and the government of the day and so already we have a manifesto which we are prosecuting,” he said.
According to Mr. Ofosu-Ampofo, the new NDC manifesto would merely be a reality check of the programmes the ruling party was already implementing, “the new manifesto will look at what we have achieved under the old one. What are the unfinished jobs to be done and what are the emerging new trends and new policy initiatives that will be taken.”
President John Dramani Mahama hinted at a significant policy that his second administration from 2017 would put a high priority on.
According to President Mahama on his official Facebook page on Sunday, his administration’s job creation policy is tagged the Economic Transformation and Livelihood Empowerment Programme (ETLEP).
The ETLEP is designed to work with the private sector to significantly boost employment in the country. “…I am determined to implement an Economic Transformation and Livelihood Empowerment Programme (ETLEP). This programme seeks to create more jobs in several sectors of the economy, with private sector involvement, and is anchored on value addition and diversification on the back of sustainable power supply,” the President revealed in his post.
The programme would target the agricultural sector and “existing industries and pay particular attention to the entire agriculture value chain. Additionally, the Programme will provide more jobs for the youth and Ghanaians as a whole, improve disposable income and enhance their purchasing power,” the President said.
Last week, during the massive campaign launch of the ruling party, officials disclosed that the manifesto of the party for the 2016 campaign would be launched in about a week at Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region. However, before the official launch, snippets of the manifesto have already filtered into the public domain.
The NDC manifesto is also heavily focused on further infrastructural development that would accelerate Ghana’s development. It also contains important social intervention programmes that the NDC administration has specifically designed to begin from 2017 to lift Ghanaians from economic despair.
The launch of the manifestos of both the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the ruling party have been a major subject of controversy with both party opting to delay their manifesto launch due to fears of plagiarism from the other.
The NPP had tried to divert attention from its inability to articulate a working manifesto by claiming it was taking its time for fear of the NDC plagiarising its document but the NDC has debunked these assertions saying the content of its manifesto was ready and scheduled to be soon launched.
While the NPP is reportedly groping for contents of its manifesto, the NDC is said to have long completed its manifesto.
Meanwhile, the ruling party is relying mostly on the crack campaign team to propagate its message to electorates. Barely a month ago, had the party selected its campaign team to be headed by the party’s General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu-Nketia (General Mosquito).